Distribution Generator Interconnections
The distribution generator interconnection team assists generator owners who would like to connect to the BC Hydro distribution system (up to 35 kV). We will be able to help you if you are:
- An independent power producer (IPP) who intends to sell power to BC Hydro;
- A customer using one or more generators (totaling more than 100 kW) offset your load consumption (also called load displacement);
- An existing customer adding or replacing a generator to your facility; or
- A generator owner who would like to synchronize your generator to our network.
If you are looking for interconnections over 35 kV or information on our wholesale transmission service, see transmission generator interconnections.
If you are planning to sell power to BC Hydro, start by reviewing the Standing Offer Program (SOP). There have been important recent developments to the SOP that may affect your project.
- Connection process overview
- Reports, policies & related documents
- Technical requirements
- Revenue metering requirements
- Micro-generator requirements
- Closed transition transfer generators
- How to reach us
All generator interconnection requests are first-come, first-served. Each interconnection request is first reviewed for technical compatibility. We will then assess the impacts of the interconnection request on our system and facilities taking into consideration key project specifics like site location, generator type, size and the proposed power output.
The general distribution generator interconnection process consists of five steps.
- Basic distribution system information request
- Screening study (recommended but optional)
- System impact study
- Facilities study
- Distribution generator interconnection agreement
- Sample agreement [PDF, 200 KB]
Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Performance Metrics
- Distribution Generator Interconnection - Metrics [PDF, 71 KB]
Fiscal Year 2021-2022 Performance Metrics
- Distribution Generator Interconnection - Metrics [PDF, 82 KB]
Fiscal Year 2022-2023 Performance Metrics
- Distribution Generator Interconnection - Metrics [PDF, 77 KB]
Other related documents
- Transfer Switches for Secondary Customer Services Emergency Standby Generators [PDF, 989 KB]
- Interconnection security methodology FAQ [PDF, 32 KB]
- Distribution generator interconnection requirements [PDF, 560 KB]
- Distribution power generator islanding guidelines [PDF, 178 KB]
- 100 kW and below distribution generation interconnection requirements [PDF, 599 KB]
For details about revenue metering requirements, please go to our technical standards and guides.
Micro-generation is the production of electricity on a small scale, using renewable and alternative energy sources. We define a micro-generator as one that intends to add over 100 kW and up to 1 MW into the distribution system. Micro-generator projects need to successfully complete the basic distribution information request and screening study (outlined in the five steps above). After that, your project may require a system impact study or your project may qualify for our streamlined design stage application process.
- Distribution micro-generator project application form [PDF, 584 KB]
Closed transition transfer generators
Closed transition transfer (CTT) projects (temporary parallel operation with a utility) find widespread use in hospitals, data centres and critical facilities where load is sensitive to momentary power loss when transferring between two acceptable sources.
If you have a generator you're looking to connect to our grid for the purpose of temporarily transferring load to/from standby generation to/from BC Hydro, the following information on this connection process will apply to you:
- CTT projects fact sheet [PDF, 59 KB]
- CTT process flowchart [PDF, 116 KB]
- CTT interconnection requirements [PDF, 196 KB]
- CTT application [PDF, 633 KB]
- CTT application requirement checklist 1: Certified Momentary CTT [PDF, 61 KB]
- CTT application requirement checklist 2: Extended CTT System [PDF, 63 KB]
- CTT application requirement checklist 3: Shore Power CTT System [PDF, 62 KB]
- Sample SLD for Certified Momentary CTT [PDF, 79 KB]
- Sample SLD for Extended CTT [PDF, 84 KB]
We're happy to help. Feel free to contact us with any generator-related questions.
6911 Southpoint Drive