Late payment and disconnection
What happens if you don't pay your bill on time?
If you don't pay your bill by the due date:
- A late payment charge will be added to your account.
- Your account may require a security deposit.
- Your credit rating with BC Hydro may be affected.
- We may disconnect your electricity service, which can also lead to a reconnection charge. Learn about non-payment disconnections in winter.
If you’re a residential customer facing a higher than expected winter bill, give our customer team a call at 1 800 BCHYDRO (1 800 224 9376) to discuss your payment options.
Late payment options in MyHydro
Promise to pay late
If you can't pay before your bill is due, you may be able to defer a payment online using MyHydro. Your account must be in good standing and all past payment arrangements must have been met.
Tell us that you made a payment
If you've made a payment after the due date, you can avoid a disruption of service by providing the details of your payment using MyHydro.
Keeping up with your BC Hydro bills
If you’ve missed a payment because you’ve lost track of a due date, or a paper bill, consider our online billing options that can help.
- Online billing ensures that you receive your bills as quickly as possible, and comes with optional email notifications to remind you when your bill is due.
- You can set up pre-authorized payments to withdraw your balance owing directly from your bank account.
- Use your Visa or Mastercard to set up recurring, automatic payments every month, or make a one-time payment. A service fee applies for each payment.
There are also some actions you can take to get a better handle on your bill costs, which can help you stay on track.
- Learn about energy-saving tips, DIY project ideas and renovations that can help reduce your usage and lower your bill.
- Set up equal payments each month to make budgeting easier and spread your electricity costs over the year.
- Monitor your electricity consumption data in MyHydro to identify patterns and opportunities to save.
If your service has been disconnected
Find out the steps to take if your service has been disconnected.