COVID-19 Relief Fund for residential customers
If you're a residential customer and you or your spouse/partner have stopped working due to COVID-19, you may be eligible to receive three months of credit on your BC Hydro bill. The credit amount is based on your average consumption and you will not need to pay it back.
To receive the credit, you need to apply for the program and be approved. If you're approved, the credit will be automatically added to your account.
To be eligible for the COVID-19 Relief Fund for residential customers:
- You need to be a residential account holder and have had your account as of March 31, 2020
- Your account must be on a residential rate, which includes rate schedules: 1101, 1105, 1107, 1121, 1127, 1148, 1151 and 1161
- You need to be eligible for Employment Insurance, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, or the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers
- You or your spouse/partner have stopped working due to COVID-19 (see examples below)
- You must be able to upload a document that proves your eligibility (see examples below)
- Your average monthly electricity consumption must not exceed 2,500 kWh
Examples of circumstances where you've stopped working due to COVID-19
- You've been laid off
- You're still attached to your company but are without employment income
- You're unable to continue earning self-employment income
- You've stopped working because you're quarantined or sick with COVID-19
- You've stopped working to take care of a family member who is sick with COVID-19
Examples of documents that prove your eligibility
The document you upload as proof needs to indicate that COVID-19 is the reason you've stopped working and your name must be visible.
This could be a letter of termination or layoff from your employer which indicates that the reason for the change in your employment status is due to COVID-19.
The document could also be one that demonstrates your approval for a program such as the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers, Employment Insurance, or a supporting document for your Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) application such as your bank statement showing the CERB deposit.
How to apply
Our application form for residential customers is now open. Eligible customers can apply any time until June 30, 2020 to receive the credit.
There is a maximum of one COVID-19 Relief Fund bill credit per household.
Not eligible for this program?
If you aren't eligible for the COVID-19 Relief Fund, learn about other programs available such as the Customer Crisis Fund or the option to defer payments or arrange a flexible payment plan.
Frequently asked questions
Find answers to common questions about eligibility, credit amounts and more.