COVID-19 Relief Fund for small businesses
If you own a small business that needed to close due to COVID-19 measures, you may be eligible to have your business' electricity use charges waived for up to three months.
To have your charges waived, you need to apply for the program and be approved. If you're approved, the charges will be automatically waived from your account.
To be eligible for the COVID-19 Relief Fund for small businesses:
- You need to be a business account holder and have had your account prior to March 31, 2020
- Your account must be on the Small General Service (SGS) rate, which includes rate schedules: 1300, 1301, 1310, 1311, 1234 and 1205 (exclusions apply, see below)
- You need to have closed your business for at least 14 consecutive days, ceased most operations, and are not earning any revenue due to a government order or because of a reduction in business due to COVID-19
- You must upload information to demonstrate that your business is closed due to COVID-19, such a photo of the business being closed, a screenshot of the closure message on your business' website or social media channel, or a customer notification email or text message
If you have more than one eligible business account on the SGS rate, you need to submit an application for each account. You can apply to get the charges waived for up to 10 accounts.
The following SGS rate accounts are not eligible:
- Government agencies or publicly funded organizations
- Public and private schools (including post-secondary)
- Stratas (commercial and residential common use areas)
- Churches or other religious venues
- Outdoor/street lighting and telecom equipment
- Unmetered services
- Companies managed by BC Hydro Key Account Managers
- Companies that have more than 10 General Service accounts
How to apply
Our online application form for small businesses is now open. Applications can be submitted until June 30, 2020.
Electricity charges incurred from the later of April 1, 2020 or the close of your business through to June 30, 2020 are eligible to be waived.
Not eligible for this program?
If you aren't eligible for the COVID-19 Relief Fund, learn about other options available for medium, large and industrial business customers.
Frequently asked questions
Find answers to common questions about eligibility, acceptable documents, waived charges and more.