Why is my bill so high?
There are many reasons why your bill could be higher than expected. The type of heating system in your home, building or facility, how it was constructed, as well as changes in your behaviour (such as doing more laundry, cooking more often), all factor into your overall electricity use.
Some common reasons for a higher than expected bill, include:
- Change in season or outside temperature
- A new appliance or electronic device, including televisions and set-top boxes (PVRs)
- Your Equal Payment Plan annual adjustment, if your payments have been less than the electricity you’ve been using
Compare your bill to understand your usage
One of the best ways to see how your electricity use has changed is to compare your current bill with a bill from the same time period last year:
Note the total electricity use – measured in kilowatt hours (kWh) – and your average daily use printed on the left side of your bill. If your electricity use is divided into multiple time periods, add each period to find your total.
If your electricity use has remained relatively level, your bill may be higher due to other billing factors, including:
- Longer billing period length: Your bill may cover a longer period of time than your previous bills. You can see the number of days in the billing period with the meter reading dates on the left side of the bill. Previous bills may have covered a shorter period.
- Meter reading estimates: If we are unable to read your electricity meter, your bill will be estimated based on your electricity use history and the message "Your bill shows an estimate" will appear. Your account will be adjusted the next time we read your meter to reflect your actual electricity use.
- Rate changes: Changes to electricity rates will make your bill higher even if you use the same amount of electricity as you did previously. Learn more about your electricity rate.
- Meter Choices program fee: For customers that chose to keep an old meter, a $32.40 monthly fee has been applied to bills beginning on December 2, 2013 to cover the cost of serving these customized metering options. For customers that chose a radio-off meter, a $22.60 monthly fee has been applied to bills beginning April 1, 2014. Learn more about meter choices.
Monitor your electricity use with our tracking tools
Use our online tracking tools to view your detailed electricity use by the month, week, day or even hour – up to the previous day. Large business customers served under Medium General Service or Large General Service rates can see their electricity use down to five-minute intervals.
Doing so can help you understand how different factors like a change in outside temperature and daily behaviours can increase your electricity use. This can help you better manage your usage and your bill and help in identifying areas to save.
Real time tracking
Take monitoring your electricity use to the next level with Rainforest Automation's home energy monitors. Available in two models, these devices track your home's electricity use in real time, allowing you to immediately see a difference when taking action to reduce your consumption. Learn more about home energy monitors.
Save with energy-saving tips
Get tips and learn about current rebates on energy-saving products that can help you reduce your electricity use and help you save. Learn more.