Multi-residential & commercial connections
You can submit your request online using a computer, smartphone or tablet
You or your project representative – such as an electrician, project manager, consultant or contractor – can log in with a MyHydro profile and our online application will guide you through the steps and requirements to submit a request for electrical design. In that system you can also:
- Assign tasks to your project team so they can view, manage and take action on various design and construction requirements.
- Manage your project online after we've acknowledged your request has been received.
- Know which BC Hydro designer has been assigned to your request.
If you would rather not use the online application to submit your request:
- Start by completing the Authorization for Design and Construction Payment Account form [PDF, 79 KB], Electrical Service Information form [PDF, 114 KB] and a service meter application form [PDF, 120 KB].
- Email the completed forms to the nearest Design office (addresses and contact information are listed in the form).
You or your representative can manage requests with our online application. You can learn about next steps and requirements, track the tasks that have been assigned to others and monitor the status of your request.
After we’ve assigned a designer to your request, you and your project team will receive:
- The amount of the required design deposit.
- Detailed instructions and the minimum requirements that need to be completed for your request to proceed.
- A timeline to help you plan design and construction activities.
- An estimated date of delivery for the electrical design.
Next, a BC Hydro designer will provide you with:
- A terms and conditions letter outlining the approvals that are required, including those from municipalities.
- An outline of our mutual responsibilities for the project.
- An invoice for design and estimated additional costs.
- A request, when required, for any additional drawings, documents or agreements to complete the design.
Full payment must be received prior to any work beginning.
Your project dashboard in our online application will be updated once payment has been received. You’ll also learn about any additional project requirements.
Responsibility for installation is normally shared:
- Supply/installation of most civil materials and labour on both public/private properties (subject to municipal requirements) is the customer's responsibility.
- Supply/installation of all required BC Hydro electrical materials (e.g., transformers, cables) up to the service delivery point (main switch, overhead connection point or meter base) will be scheduled and installed by BC Hydro after the completion of all customer civil and or electrical works and acceptance by BC Hydro.
- Pole installation on private property is the responsibility of the customer. Please consult with your local Design office for more information.
- Pole installation on public property is planned and installed by BC Hydro and is subject to municipal approval.
- The Customer's contractor will install metering transformers, meter bases, and communication conduits, if required, as per the BC Hydro standards and requirements for Meter communication.
- All work may require inspection from BC Hydro to ensure it meets our standards and is safe to proceed to the energization stage.
We will schedule energization after we’ve received:
- Necessary approvals and permits, such as electrical, from appropriate authorities, including municipalities and other utilities.
- All required documents, including application for service, service agreement(s) and rights-of-way, if necessary.
- A completed metering identification and receipt of electrical room keys, if necessary.
If you've already started a request
Either you or your electrical contractor may have already initiated an electrical connection request. You can view and manage requests by logging in with your MyHydro profile. You can link requests to your MyHydro profile with the connection request number that has been assigned.
Reference guides and technical information
- Authorization for Design and Construction Payment Account form [PDF, 79 KB]
- Electrical Service Information form [PDF, 114 KB]
- Service meter application form [PDF, 596 KB]
- Electrical connections process quick reference guide [PDF, 64 KB]
- Electrical service connection extensions and fees
- Distribution Technical Standards and Guides